Tuesday, March 15, 2011

well, that was an adventure

Today I subbed (for a teacher that basically left me no plans...kind of a tiring day) and when I got home all I wanted to do was relax and bake some soda bread.  And prep my corned beef and cabbage.  K and I are having St. Patrick's day early (tomorrow) since we both have class Thursday night.

After doing all this I go to take Hanna outside before I settle in for some TV watching.  Now, just so you know, I live in an apartment complex, which is basically just parking lots with buildings around them and some grass.  Imagine my surprise when we came across a small ewok-like dog just wandering alone.  She looked slightly familiar but wasn't wearing a collar.  So I lured her back to my apartment, fashioned a collar/leash out of one of Hanna's leashes and began knocking on doors.

Of course, no one answered, so I brought her back home.  Hanna was a little leery of her, but basically ok. This is when I started to panic...what they hell was I going to do about this dog?  I decided to knock on my neighbors door and asked them if they had ever seen her, they agreed with me that she looked familiar and together we made a guess at who we thought we had seen her with.

With their help I found the owner and returned the dog.  Turns out she had just had bladder surgery and her owner assumed she was asleep under a bed, but her daughter left the door open so she got out.  She was grateful I found her but had no idea she was missing!

Alls well that ends well I guess, but it kind of showed me that I should try and get to know my neighbors better!  I am very happy that my neighbors (who I have seen around for years, but never really talked to) were so nice about helping me...and that I didn't end up with another dog!

(I tried to take a picture of the dog but she didn't cooperate)

(Promise this won't become a dog-only blog...I just have had a lot of dog activity lately!)

5 comments:

Tracie Nall said...

I've lived in my place for three years and only slightly know a couple of my neighbors.

My husband talks to a few of them, but mostly just a "hi and good morning" kind of conversation.

I think I'm a bad neighbor.


Glad yours were nice and the dog made it home!

jessica said...

It's hard to get to know your neighbors in apartments so don't feel like a bad neighbor! I'm so glad you were able to find the owner, that poor dog! :(

{And you know I won't ever mind your dog posts!!}

Ashley said...

Glad you found her owner!
In the fall, a dog was outside my house and I knew it did not belong to our close Neighbors so I called the number on the tag- A LOT! No answer. Finally, I thought to look it up in the reverse phone directly. I found the address and put the dog in my car and drove- it was a few miles away. When I got to the house, the doors were open and there were trash all over their open garage. I was yelling in and this weirdo came to the door. The house was really nice, but the guy was weird and had his pants unbuttoned at the door! I was like, uh, I think I have your dog. He walked out to my car with me to get it, and I got in my car and booked it out of there. Ha. Haven’t seen the dog since!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I know no one in my apartment building! Actually I randomly know one other girl that lives here.

Llama said...

A teacher who left barely any plans?!? Thats not only tiring, its a nightmare! You poor poor thing! I can't stand when teachers do that! Whenever I am out I go above and beyond to make sure my sub is comfortable!
Hopefully your day got better!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com