Friday, May 28, 2010

Curiosities: Tracie

Good morning blogland! I'm over at my parents today helping get ready for my little brother's (high school) graduation party, which is tomorrow. Never fear...I have Tracie here to blog about the truly curious subject of child leashes. Enjoy and have a fantastic Memorial Day weekend!

Do You Leash?

Cee asked me to write about something that I find curious, or random, or strange. I have something that is all three. Leashes. I'm sure there are reasons for pulling out that leash. Safety is one. I can imagine lots of people pointing out that they use leashes for safety reasons. It keeps the little ones from running away. That is all good and fine, but what happens when they turn the leashes on you?


When my husband, Thomas, and I were first married we flew from Florida to Arizona to have our second wedding with my mom's family. We had a layover in the Houston Airport. While we were there we saw this woman. She was traveling with her four kids and it didn't seem to be going very well. The first time we noticed her she was walking through the airport with all four kids attached to her by leashes. She had a suitcase and although three of the kids were walking (none of them were babies) one of them was definitely closer to being dragged.


The three kids who were walking weren't much improvement on the "dragged" kid, because the three "walkers" were all trying to walk in different directions! It made me think of those old western movies when the townsfolk would get really angry at a guy and threaten that he might be drawn and quartered. I could just see this poor woman being pulled in three different directions!


She finally corralled all four kids into the bathroom (these western words are really working for me today) and we didn't see them for a long time.


Finally, after a long wait, it was time for our plane to board. We got in line and Thomas started tapping me and said, "Look! It is the lady with the leashes!"


What I saw when I turned my head........I have wished ever since that I had had a camera with me that day. It needs photographic explanation. It was just so crazy! So crazy in fact, that I decided that since I don't have a photograph I would just have to draw you a picture. Nothing short of that will do.


There she was. One kid trying to escape while simultaneously having wrapped his leash around another one's neck. Two of the kids had run around her in circles and the mom was unable to move due to being tied up. The last kid......this was the one who was being dragged earlier......had climbed on top of a telephone booth that was mounted to the wall! To this day Thomas and I are unsure how he managed to get up there. We had to catch our flight, so I never have known what happened to that mother with all the leashes. I imagine that she might still be there at the airport all these years later tied up and stuck under that phone booth, but hopefully she was able to make it to her airplane.


I had never given leashes much though before this incident. On that day, Thomas and I decided that we were not leash parents. It is just too dangerous. You might be able to use that leash to keep your kid attached to you.....but you never know when they might turn on you and tie you up with it!


Thanks Tracie! I have a vague memory of my mom having me on a leash when I was about 3 or so...but I'm pretty sure she would deny it now!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have 3 daughters, the oldest one 11, and I can happily say that I have never used a leash on any of them.

This is a great story though and it definitely made me laugh. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

ha. I dont think I could ever use them...but I won't say NEVER.
When I was in Girl scouts (I was probably 10 at the time) we went to DC. I bought a leash, so this other girl who was in my troupe could be tied to me because I overheard my mom talking about being nervous because this particlar girl was very hyper and on the go, so my mom was worried they would lose her in DC. hahah. I took it upon myself to leash up with her!

Andrea said...

Hilarious! I can just imagine what it looked like!

I HAVE used a leash on my daughter, like twice, but it was a monkey backpack one, and she loved it and it kept me sane! :D

Unknown said...

I have never personally used the leashes, but like Andrea said, the backpack ones seem pretty cute and the kids have no idea it's a leash. I have twins, and when I'm traveling alone with them through airports, on trams in large airports, etc., i have often wished I had done it....does that make me a bad parent?? I get so afraid sometimes if I turn my back or smeone runs off.....yikes!

Salt said...

The leashes that are cleverly disguised as monkey backpacks are cute. I used to say that I'd never do it, but I don't know what kind of crazyness kids can cause yet, so I'm not completely ruling it out.

That is the most awesome illustration I have ever seen. I wish I had been there to witness that madness!

Unknown said...

I SOOO agree with you on the leashes--they are just so wierd and wrong!

Those poor kids in Houston. I know it is hard to travel with kids, and with four kids it would have been insane, but leashes? Yikes!

Have a great Fri!

Jules
www.alittlebiteoflife.net

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

This post is hilarious. I can totally imagine the scene in the airport. I'd love to know how the kid got on top of the phone booth all the while being on a leash!

I've never used one but I also only have one son and we haven't done the airport thing yet so who's to say what I would do with four children.

Visiting by way of Tracie's blog.

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Unknown said...

OH my! That's quite a predicament she's gotten herself into. I don't care either way about the leashes, but if you're going to have 4 kids.... AND try to travel alone w/ 4 kids... I would say they need a little more discipline. I would guess that this mom chose leashes instead of a discussion about proper traveling behavior, followed up by consistent boundaries. This reminds me of that mom who got in major trouble for pulling her kid through the phone store by his leash.

cheri said...

i have a very mobile little boy who wants to explore the world and it has been suggested numerous times that i use a leash on him. but i cant do it.

i'd rather run after him or be dragged than put him on a leash..

pennyb4a said...

I had three young children in the 80's, and we lived in the very rural country, surrounded by fields and woods. However, we traveled to large cities several times a year. My children were taught to respect us and obey our directions, so they were very well behaved, thus no need for leashes. We did SEE leashes used in our travels in the 80's and 90's in D.C., Norfolk, VA., New York, Virginia Beach, Cape Hattares, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, Nashville, etc. and always felt the children were being treated like dogs. However, I have a 2yr old grandaughter who is being raised very differently than her daddy was, and I can't take her out on the sidewalk without her wanting to run off! In an airport? You bet I would put her on a leash! I'm only 45, but with a screw in one of my knees, I can't run her down and she won't come back when told to. My how you raise children can make all the difference in a decision like this!

Tractor Mom said...

Do you have a baby on leashes walking service?

www.frugaltractormom.blogspot.com

Kiera said...

OMG that is soooo funny! I love the parents that try to 'train' their kids. It always ends up that the kids train their parents.

great post!

Tracie said...

I don't use a leash. My babysitter used to tie me to the couch with pantyhose. That might have something to do with me not wanting to use leashes on my kids.

Kassie said...

That's a lot of children on a leash, crazy!!

(and i'll have mine to you by Monday, it's been crazy around here!) thanks girl! :)

Mrs4444 said...

Never had need for leashes for my two kids. That said, I guess whatever works...

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com