Tuesday, February 16, 2010

cute valentine idea...with a twist

Maryland's governor, Martin O'Malley, was somehow able to "officially" extend Valentine's Day until February 21st. I didn't know that was a gubernatorial privilege, seems like a lot of power to me. But oh well.

This morning they were talking about it on the radio show I listen to, specifically, what to get your special someone for a present, since you have time. Now I have a short drive to work so I didn't hear everything, but it seemed like it had turned into an argument about if it is it easier to shop for a present when you have been with someone a long time or when the relationship is new.

Anyways, just as I am pulling into work this woman calls in and says instead of giving each other presents for Valentine's Day, her and her husband go to the mall and play "30 in 30 minutes." They each get 30 bucks and have 30 minutes to buy each other presents. After 30 minutes they meet in the food court, eat and exchange the gifts.

I think that this seems like a great idea and a lot of fun. Especially if you are on a budget, which K and I definitly will be on next V-day. Plus I love that it is kind of like a fun adventure. It wouldn't have to be for Valentine's Day either. Maybe for a girlfriend gift exchange you could meet at the mall, find gifts, then exchange over dinner. And you don't have to eat in the food court either. Most malls have nicer resturants nearby or attached.

Here is the twist...when I got to work my (new) boss came in and was talking about how she just got through on the radio and what she had called about. The woman I had heard was her! I was pretty impressed.

So would you ever do "30 in 30 minutes" for a holiday?

12 comments:

Kiera said...

honestly i would probably get movie tix with tons of movie snacks. my hub like stuff that are more memories than sweaters.... although he does like brookstone... i dont know! id be so overwhelmed!

Caroline said...

Maybe... can we make it 50 instead though!? ;)

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

I like this idea a lot! 30 in 30 minutes is awesome. When you first started describing this my mind went into full 7 minutes in heaven mode and I got worried... but I continued to read and I'm pleased that's NOT where it was going ;)

KatiePerk said...

our friends used to do this in the thrift store!! It was hilarious!!!and a lot of fun!

sarah said...

I like this idea. I do well in malls. With $30 and 30 minutes I could do some damage.

Llama said...

that is a very cute idea. i would love to try it!

Salt said...

I love this idea. It would keep us both under control too because we tend to spend way too much money on each other.

That O'Malley certainly is quite a guy. Maybe next he can use his superpowers to melt all this snow or something.

SurferWife said...

That's so crazy that it ended up being your boss on the phone!! Did you tell her you heard it?!

Ashley said...

Ha, I love how the caller was her!!
AND, I like that idea too! To be honest though, being taken out to dinner and drinks is a good present for me! As long as he is paying! :)
But, I do like the 30 in 30.

Meagan said...

That is a cute idea! Especially since Hubby and I usually buy stuff each other wants. For my birthday I picked out make up that I needed. Not too romantic but makes me happy!

Unknown said...

That sounds fun! We did a Zero dollar challenge this year. I'm hoping to get it written sometime this week. We'll definitely have to try that sometime.

jessalyn said...

i wish i could get away with spending only $30 for manfriends bday on vday :)
this is definitely a great idea. and its so crazy it was your boss. you had that knowledge at your fingertips all along!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com